Instead of getting the usual box of chocolates for that special someone this Valentine’s Day, try making a homemade dessert. This Strawberry and Ganache Layered Pavlova will be sure to impress and is absolutely delicious!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine strawberries and 1 teaspoon sugar. In another bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate strawberries and whipped cream, covered, until assembly.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace 12 three inch circles, 1 inch apart on paper; set aside. Add cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread evenly over circles.
- Bake until set and dry, 70-80 minutes. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips. Add ¼ cup heavy cream stir until smooth. Spread evenly over tops of meringues. Carefully remove one meringue to a serving plate. Remove whipped cream from refrigerator; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread desired amount of the whipped cream over the meringue, top with strawberries. Repeat layers. Serve immediately.
This recipe can easily be made in advance, although we recommend making the whipped cream within a day of use.