There is no better way to start your day than with some homemade French toast. Get creative with this recipe and use different baked goods like pound cake, or brioche as you bread. Yum!
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
- 4 10 inch stalks or rhubarb, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups of diced fresh strawberries
- ½ cups orange mango nectar or juice (you can use orange juice as well)
- ¼- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon (or a heavy pinch) ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 loaves of good quality, store bought (or from your favorite bakery) plain or vanilla pound cake. You can also make your own!
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup cold whipping cream or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For the strawberry rhubarb sauce, combine all sauce ingredients into a medium sized sauce pan with 1/4 cup water. Simmer over medium low heat for 25 minutes until thickened. If the sauce is too thick, add 1/4 cup more water. Remove from heat, cool until warm. you can make this a day or two in advance and reheat over a low simmer before serving.
Slice pound cake into 1/4 inch slices. Prepare custard. Combine all custard ingredients with a whisk until evenly incorporated. I like to make the custard the day or night before to allow all of the flavors to develop but that’s optional.
Whip cream using a whisk or stand mixer until soft peak form, add maple syrup and continue to whip until the whipped cream is soft and fully. ***Tip: Place your mixing bowl and whisk or whisk attachment into the freezer until ready to make your whipped cream. this will speed up the process, especially if you are whipping by hand. Also, make sure you leave your whipping cream in the refrigerator until ready to use.
In a medium sized saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium low heat until melted. Dip one slice of pound cake at a time into custard and brown in butter until golden brown on each side, about 1 minute per side. Serve warm with strawberry rhubarb sauce and whipped cream.