Samoas with a Clarke Twist
This infamous Girl Scouts cookie has come its way to the Clarke culinary kitchen. The combination of toasted coconut, sweet caramel, and chocolate brings joy to every bite.
YIELD: 48 each
For the cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Butter, unsalted, room temp.
- 1/2 cup Sugar, granulated
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Milk, whole
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
For the topping
- 4 cups Shredded sweetened coconut
- 20-30 oz Store-bought soft caramels (Werther's Original)
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 10 oz Dark chocolate
Method of Preparation
Make the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325°F on Convection mode. Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar at medium low speed until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.
- Scrape the sides of mixing bowl. Add milk and vanilla extract until combined.
- In three increments, add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mixing on low speed and scraping after each addition. The flour, salt, and baking powder should be fully incorporated into the dough.
- Using your hands, divide the dough in half and press each large piece into a flatter disk. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour, or until firm.
- Once dough is chilled, roll out one disk onto a lightly floured surface to about an eighth of an inch thick. Using a 2-inch round doughnut cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible (*TIP*). Place each cookie onto lined sheet trays. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place baking sheets of cookies in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on edges. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely before using topping.
Make the topping
- Preheat oven to 325°F on Convection mode and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread coconut flakes onto baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently for even browning. Set aside on cooling rack.
- Using the true simmer mode on medium high simmer, melt soft caramels and milk in a medium-size saucepot, stirring occasionally. Once fully melted, set caramel to the lowest simmer temperature to avoid burning.
- Add toasted coconut flakes to a large bowl. Combine 3/4 of the caramel to the toasted coconut until fully coated.
- Carefully spread the remaining caramel on top of the cooled cookies with a mini offset spatula or knife then press on a portion of the caramel-coconut mixture. Let the cookies cool. If the caramel coconut mixture cools down, reheat for about 45 seconds in a microwave.
- Melt chocolate in a small saucepot using the true simmer mode on the lowest heat. Dip the bottoms of the cookies in chocolate and place them back onto parchment paper. Using a small piping bag or a fork, drizzle chocolate on the top of each cookie. Let the cookies cool until the chocolate fully hardens.
*TIP* In a replace of a doughnut cutter, use a 2-inch round cookie cutter and a smaller sized cutter to create a doughnut shaped cookie.