This infamous Girl Scouts cookie has come its way to the Clarke culinary kitchen. The combination of toasted coconut, sweet caramel, and chocolate brings joy to every bite.
Serving Size: 48 each
For the cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Butter, unsalted, room temp.
- 1/2 cup Sugar, granulated
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Milk, whole
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
For the topping
- 4 cups Shredded sweetened coconut
- 20-30 oz Store-bought soft caramels (Werther’s Original)
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 10 oz Dark chocolate
Make the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325°F on Convection mode. Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar at medium low speed until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.
- Scrape the sides of mixing bowl. Add milk and vanilla extract until combined.
- In three increments, add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mixing on low speed and scraping after each addition. The flour, salt, and baking powder should be fully incorporated into the dough.
- Using your hands, divide the dough in half and press each large piece into a flatter disk. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour, or until firm.
- Once dough is chilled, roll out one disk onto a lightly floured surface to about an eighth of an inch thick. Using a 2-inch round doughnut cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible (*TIP*). Place each cookie onto lined sheet trays. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place baking sheets of cookies in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on edges. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely before using topping.
Make the topping
- Preheat oven to 325°F on Convection mode and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread coconut flakes onto baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently for even browning. Set aside on cooling rack.
- Using the true simmer mode on medium high simmer, melt soft caramels and milk in a medium-size saucepot, stirring occasionally. Once fully melted, set caramel to the lowest simmer temperature to avoid burning.
- Add toasted coconut flakes to a large bowl. Combine 3/4 of the caramel to the toasted coconut until fully coated.
- Carefully spread the remaining caramel on top of the cooled cookies with a mini offset spatula or knife then press on a portion of the caramel-coconut mixture. Let the cookies cool. If the caramel coconut mixture cools down, reheat for about 45 seconds in a microwave.
- Melt chocolate in a small saucepot using the true simmer mode on the lowest heat. Dip the bottoms of the cookies in chocolate and place them back onto parchment paper. Using a small piping bag or a fork, drizzle chocolate on the top of each cookie. Let the cookies cool until the chocolate fully hardens.
*TIP* In a replace of a doughnut cutter, use a 2-inch round cookie cutter and a smaller sized cutter to create a doughnut shaped cookie.