With Halloween canceled this year, we recreated our favorite holiday gift to tie into Halloween. This Pumpkin Seed Brittle is sweet, salty, and just as irresistible as traditional brittles.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 1 sheet tray
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a medium sized pan, combine the water, corn syrup, and sugar. Begin heating the mixture over medium high heat. If you have a candy thermometer, add it to the pan. Stir occasionally.
- Once the thermometer reaches 285° add the pumpkin seeds and stir to combine. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, wait until the mixture becomes an amber gold color, then add the pepitas.
- Stir occasionally until the candy thermometer reaches 300° then remove from the heat. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, wait until the mixture is a deeper amber color, not yet brown.
- Once removed from the heat, whisk in the butter, vanilla extract, and baking soda. Once everything is thoroughly combined, spread the mixture out on a sheet tray covered in parchment paper or a silicone sheet.
- You can either sprinkle the chocolate chips over the brittle or place the chocolate in a pot on the simmer mode until it is gently melted so you can drizzle it over.
- Wait 20 minutes before baking so it can set properly. Break, serve, and enjoy!