Plum Upside-Down Cake
Summer brings us some of our favorite fresh produce, including stone fruit! We used plums, but you can make this delicious cake with any stone fruit.
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
YIELD: 8-12 servings
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
6 plums (or 4 peaches)
1 stick of softened butter
¾ cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of salt
Method of Preparation
- Preheat your Wolf Convection Steam Oven to 350° on the Convection Humid Mode.
- Slice your plums by first cutting it in half and removing the pit, and then cutting each half into thirds.
- Grease a 9 inch cake pan. Take a piece of parchment paper and fold it in half, then fold it in half again, to the shape of the triangle, and then once more. Line up the point of your parchment paper triangle to the very center of your cake pan and trip the parchment paper using scissors at the rim of the cake pan. This will create a perfect circle for the bottom of your cake pan. This will help your cake release without any fruit being left behind.
- In a stand mixer, cream your butter and sugar together until the mixture is lighter in color and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter, letting each egg fully incorporate before adding the next. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until fully combined.
- In a saucepan, add the sugar and water, and cook over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, or until amber in color. Try not to stir this mixture because that can cause it to crystalize.
- Begin arranging your fruit at the bottom of your pan. I tend to start at the center of the pan and work my way to the edge of the pan.
- Once the sugar has turned amber in color, immediately remove it from heat and pour it over the fruit. Then add the cake batter on top.
- Tap the cake pan on the counter gently 10-20 times to make sure there aren’t any air bubbles.
- Place in your Convection Steam Oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick can be poked in and come out clean.
- Let cool for about 5-10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge, place a plate or cutting board over the cake pan, and then flip it so the cake will flip right out onto your board.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy! This cake is delicious when served with ice cream or whipped cream.