Persian Pomegranate Chicken
This easy, sweet, and savory Persian chicken is the perfect comfort food dish to throw together last minute for dinner.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 2 hours
YIELD: 6-8 servings
- 1 to 2 large yellow onions, chopped, (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs and/or breasts, trimmed of excess fat, cut into medium size pieces, patted dry and salted
- 1 lime - zested
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate arils for garnish, optional
- Fresh pomegranate seeds
- Torn flat leaf parsley
Method of Preparation
- Brown the chicken pieces on all sides: In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- When the butter has melted, pat the chicken pieces dry again and place the chicken pieces in the pan, working in batches if necessary to not crowd the pan, and cook until golden brown on all sides. Sprinkle the chicken with salt while they are cooking.
- Sauté the onions. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the chicken from the pan, set aside.
- Add a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of oil to the pan. Lower the heat to medium low.
- Add chopped onions to the pan and sauté until translucent, stirring on occasion to release the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken and stock. Return the chicken pieces to the pan with the onions. Pour 2 cups of chicken stock over the chicken and onions. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add pomegranate molasses, sugar, spices, cover and cook. Stir in the pomegranate molasses, sugar, and spices. Cover and cook on very low heat for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and adjust sugar/salt to taste. At this point the chicken should be fall apart tender.
- Serve over basmati rice and garnish with pomegranate seeds and torn parsley