Orange Olive Oil Cake
Brighten up your winter with this sweet treat. Take advantage of the year-round orange availability to enjoy a little bit of sunshine, even in the New England snow.
PREP TIME: 25 Minutes
COOK TIME: 45 Minutes
YIELD: 6-8 Servings
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 3 blood oranges
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
Method of Preparation
- Thinly slice your oranges. You want to slice the rind as thin as possible, while will maintaining the citrus center, 3-5 mm if possible.
- Combine the oranges, sugar, water, and allspice in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let simmer for 20-30 minutes. You want the rinds to look opaque instead of white.
- Preheat your Wolf Oven to 350° on the Convection Mode.
- While your oranges are simmering, combine the eggs and sugar in your Wolf Gourmet Stand Mixer. Mix with the paddle attachment on high until it is much lighter in color, and no grains of sugar are visible. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and vanilla while its mixing. Then add the orange juice and orange zest.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together, then add to the wet mixture and stir to combine.
- Once your oranges are ready, prepare an 8-inch cake pan by lining the bottom with parchment and greasing both the pan and parchment. Shingle the orange slices on the bottom of the pan, and then cover the oranges with the cake batter.
- Place in the middle rack of your oven, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a pick come out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edge of the pan. Then, in one motion, flip the cake pan upside down onto a baking rack. Lift the baking rack and look underneath to make sure the cake has released from the pan. If not, give the bottom of the pan a few hard taps until the cake releases.
- Slice serve and enjoy with ice cream, whipped cream, mascarpone, or all by itself!