We served this hearty lobster mac n cheese in a homemade bread bowl, but any bowl will do! This recipe proves that cheese and seafood do in fact belong together.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
1 Cup Smoked Gouda
1 Cup Sharp White Cheddar
1 Small Onion
1 Stick of Butter
½ Cup Flour
2 Cups Milk
Nutmeg to Taste
Salt and White Pepper to Taste
1 Lb. Orecchiette Pasta
Method of Preparation:
- In a medium pan, add the butter and the small diced onion. Sweat until onions are translucent. Add the flour and stir until it smoothly comes together.
- Gradually add the milk while continuously stirring. Bring to a boil while stirring and remove from heat.
- Stir in the cheeses while the mixture is still hot and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- In a large pot, bring salted water up to a boil, and cook the pasta as directed, about 10 minutes.
- Place the lobster in the convection steam oven on the steam mode at 210° for 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the lobster. Smaller one-pound lobsters take 10 minutes to steam, while larger ones need more time. Remove and place in an ice bath for 1 minute.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the cheese sauce, and gently fold in the lobster meat.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can freeze your lobsters ahead of time for 15 minutes, which will cause them to go into a permanent slumber before cooking them.
Place a non-perforated pan underneath the lobsters to catch the drippings. This will help keep your steam oven clean and will also give you a delicious lobster broth.