- 120g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g sugar, divided into 150g and 75g
- finely grated zest of 3 large lemons
- ½ a vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 250g ground almonds
- 250g ricotta
- 45g flaked almonds
- Powdered sugar, to serve
- Preheat the oven to convection 340 degrees. Lightly grease a 8” round cake pan with butter and line the base with baking parchment.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and 150g sugar until light and fluffy, 2 – 3 minutes. Add the lemon zest and vanilla and beat again until combined. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Fold the ground almonds into the mixture, followed by the ricotta.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 75g sugar and whisk until still peaks form. Fold a spoonful of whipped egg white into your almond mixture to loosen, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites until you have a smooth batter.
- Scrape the batter into your prepared tin, sprinkle over the flaked almonds then bake for 40 – 50 minutes or until firm and golden round the edges. The cake may have a slight wobble in the middle but will firm up once cooled.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan before transferring to a serving plate and dusting with powdered sugar. Serve with whipped cream and a handful of raspberries, if you like.
- The cake will keep in an airtight container for several days and is also delicious chilled.