Italian Easter Bread
Impress your guests this Easter, with this colorful braided bread treat, great for everyone in the family.
- ½ cup All-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tsp Active-dry yeast
- ½ cup Luke-warm whole milk
- ¼ cup Sugar, granulated
- 2 each Eggs, room-temperature
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup Sour cream
- 3-4 each Lemons, zest
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 ¼ cup All-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 6 each Eggs
- 3 cups Boiling water
- 3-4 drops Food Coloring
- As needed Rainbow sprinkles
- 2 tbsp Whole milk
Method of Preparation
- Preheat Proof Mode to 90F, line two sheet pans with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook, add 1/2 cup of flour, yeast, and and milk. Stir mixture and let yeast proof in room temperature, or until yeast is dissolved.
- While mixing on medium-low speed, add eggs, sour cream, melted butter, lemon zest, sugar, and salt; use a rubber spatula to scrap the sides consistently.
- On the lowest speed, slowly start to add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until incorporated.
- Place dough on a clean surface and start to knead the dough, using a few drops of vegetable oil at a time. This step should take about fifteen to twenty-five minutes, until the dough is soft, but not sticky.
- Using a clean oiled bowl, cover dough with a damp towel and place in preheated oven on proof mode for about 1 1/2 hours.
- While dough is proofing, in a medium bowl, whisk boiling water, vinegar, and food coloring. Place eggs in bowl and let sit for about five minutes. *TIP*
- Once risen, divide dough into 12 small balls and shape each ball into a 12-13″ long rope. Make sure to cover dough with plastic wrap or damp towel to avoid crust while working on excess dough.
- Take two ropes and braid them together, forming a ring by pinching the ends. Place one egg in center of ring and place ring on sheet pan. Repeat step with remaining ropes.
- Insert sheet pans into proofing oven and let rise for thirty minutes.
- After risen, switch temperature to 350F on Convection Mode. Right before baking, brush rings with milk and top with sprinkles.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool on cooling rack.
TIP: If preferred different colored eggs, divide dyed egg recipe in two or three separate bowls