Guatemalan Hot Punch (Ponche)
Holidays with the family, sitting around the fire calls for a hot and sweet Latin punch. This treat gives you fruity flavors with a touch of cinnamon as well as a boost of antioxidants, that allows you to sit back and relax during the cold winter months.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 40-45 minutes
YIELD: 12 servings
- 2½ quarts water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of dried prunes
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1½ cup dried fruit medley
- 1 can of pineapple chunks (drained)
- 1 cup of raisins
Method of Preparation
- Cut up all dried fruit into ¼ in pieces
- Bring water with cinnamon sticks to a boil and then add sugar. Stir until dissolved. Reduce to a simmer.
- Add chopped fruit medley, apricots, and prunes and leave it to simmer, covered about 20-30 minutes until fruit looks plump.
- Once plumped, add the rest of the fruit and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Add more sugar or water to your liking.
- Serve hot with a spoon!