Cast Iron Spatchcock Lemon Rosemary Chicken
Nothing beats a roasted chicken recipe that you can perfect every time, using your Wolf oven's probe. Make sure to save the carcass for the best homemade chicken stock!
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 40 mins
YIELD: Serves 4
- 1 whole 4lb chicken
- I head of garlic cut in half horizontally
- 1 lemon (zested then cut into quarters)
- 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary leaves minced
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tbs of high smoke temp oil (Grape Seed, Canola, Vegetable, Avocado, etc.…)
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat your Wolf M or E series oven to Convection Roast at 375F.
2. Butterfly the chicken by cutting out the backbone, then flattening the breastbone by pressing down hard with your hand. You can have your butcher do this and many grocery stores sell whole chickens already spatchcocked for you. Cut the wing tips as these are prone to burn.
3. Melt butter in a small saucepan with rosemary and lemon zest.
4. Preheat a large cast iron pan on your cooktop with oil on medium high heat. Place garlic cut side down and cook until golden and aromatic. Remove garlic. Season your chicken heavily with salt and pepper on both sides. Place chicken in cast iron, skin-side down first, and sear the whole chicken for 6-8 minutes. Flip the whole chicken carefully using two sets of tongs and sear for another 6 minutes.
5. Add garlic and quartered lemon wedges under the chicken, then baste with butter lemon herb.
6. Place cast iron into oven. Put the probe in deepest part of thigh and set the probe alert temp to 170 degrees F. Baste with butter herb mixture every 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Chicken should take around 40-55mins. Rest for 15 mins before carving.