Braised Short Ribs
There’s nothing quite like a meal that feels like a warm hug in a bowl. These braised short ribs are guaranteed to satisfy everyone at your dinner table. Depending on the season, switch up your sauce to either lighten or warm your dish!
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
YIELD: 5 servings
- 5 bone-in short ribs (about 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 head of garlic, horizontally cut in half
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 ribs of celery. chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups bone broth
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
Method of Preparation
- In a large dutch oven, heat ¼ cup oil. Season your short ribs with salt and pepper. Sear your short ribs on every side, working in batches. After searing each short rib, place on a plate and let rest while you prepare your braising liquid.
- In the same pot you seared your meat, add your head of garlic until browned, then add your chopped vegetables. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir until it is coating every vegetable. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add red wine and simmer for 4 minutes to cook out the alcohol. Then add your bone broth, thyme and bay leaf.
- Place your uncovered pot inside your Wolf Convection Steam Oven. Select Gourmet, then Meat, followed by Beef. Select Shoulder of Beef, on the far right there is an option for More Gourmet, select and continue. Choose Medium Browned and Start!
- After 1 ½- 2 hours of braising, remove short ribs from the pot onto a serving dish and strain your braising liquid from the vegetables.
- Here you are free to create your own sauce or reduce the braising liquid in a small sauce pot on your stove. Spoon your sauce over the short ribs and enjoy!
- This dish pairs perfectly with creamy polenta, mashed potatoes or add the braising vegetables to your dish for additional flavor.
- We lightened our short ribs with a buttermilk and chive vinaigrette.