Trying to cut the carbs, but not the flavor? This simple low-carb “mac” and cheese is a great alternative. This dish can be served as a side or on its own for a lunch that will become one of your weekly go-to recipes.
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 6oz of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6oz of smoked gouda
- 1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The first step is to drain some of the liquid out of the eggplant prior to cooking them in the oven. Cut the eggplant stem off and cut in half lengthwise. Once cut in half, score each eggplant with diagonal slits, making sure not to cut all the way through the eggplant. Repeat in the opposite directions creating an “X” pattern.
- Sprinkle each eggplant half with 2 tsp of kosher salt and let sit for at least 30 mins or up to an hour.
- After you let eggplant rest, gently squeeze liquid out and dry with paper towel.
- Place eggplant flat side down on a parchment-lined sheet tray sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and cook on Convection mode in your Wolf oven 30 mins at 375F.
- Next, flip eggplant so flat side faces up and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
- While eggplant is cooking, in a mixing bowl mix all the ingredients for the panko topping.
- Remove eggplant from oven and top with shredded cheeses, then panko topping and roast for an additional 5-15 minutes till panko is browned and crispy.