Chef Carl Dooley Cooks at Clarke
Chef Carl Dooley, a Boston native and finalist on Top Chef, showed how to take New England seafood and kick it up a notch when he visited Clarke, New England’s Official Sub-Zero, Wolf ad Cove Showroom and Test Kitchen in Milford, Massachusetts. The occasion was a taping of New England Living’s Chef Series, which airs inside the local program seasonally on WBZ-TV/CBS Boston Sundays at 11:30AM.
Chef Dooley’s energy and enthusiasm was evident as he talked to New England Living host Rachel Holt about his love of spicy foods, local ingredients and one pot cooking.
Watch his New England Living segment and if you are inspired to prepare this delicious dish, find one of his favorite recipes here…
Spicy Mussels with Chorizo
Serves 2-4 people
- 5 pound bag of mussels, rinsed and drained
- 1 link of dry chorizo, sliced thin coins
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 cup white wine
- 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 14 oz can of garbanzo beans
- Chopped preserved lemon
- Chopped pickled or roasted peppers
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Crunchy Bread for serving
- Cook the chorizo in a bit of olive oil until rendered a bit. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for a minute until tender.
- Add the spice and bloom in the pan with the meat and veggies.
- Add the white wine, tomatoes, and garbanzo beans. Bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels and cover with lid. Cook until mussels are fully opened, about 4 minutes.
- Top with preserved lemon, pickled peppers, a good drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with cilantro and good toast.
If you have questions about preparing this or other dishes with your Wolf appliances, always feel free to call a Clarke showroom or schedule your Ask the Chef session here.