We hope you’ve been enjoying our series of recipes! It’s now time for the third installment of Clarke and Smith & Wollensky’s Self-Quarantine Video Series. Chef Matt King gives you his tips for preparing Social Distance Chili in a 20-minute video shot in the Clarke Showroom at 7 Tide in Boston Seaport. This is the perfect hearty meal to serve 8-10 people or you can certainly freeze the leftovers to enjoy later.
1.5 lb. Ground Beef (ideally short rib)
1.5 lb. Diced Short rib or Tri Tip 1/2 inch pieces
½ Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Lb Diced Onion
8 ea Garlic Cloves
20 Oz Dark Beer – Preferably Guinness
2 Cups Beef Broth
8 oz Tomato Paste
4 ea Roasted New Mexican Chiles (Diced) Hatch or Anaheim Chiles are best
4-6 Jalapenos, Minced seeds removed
¾ Cup Chile Powder
3 Tbsp Ground Cumin Seed
1.5 Tbsp Dry Oregano
12 oz Canned Black Beans
12 oz Canned Red Kidney Beans
Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
1) Brown the ground beef in the oil and reserve, leaving the oil in the pan.
2) Brown the diced beef in the reserved oil and remove, leaving the oil in the pan.
3) Sauté the onions and the garlic in the reserved oil until soft.
4) Add the Beer, Reserved Beef and tomato paste, bring to a boil.
5) Reduce the heat and simmer for one hour.
6) Add half of the beef broth and the remaining ingredients, simmer for an additional hour.
7) Add beef broth as needed to desired thickness.
8) Season to taste with salt and pepper
Check out our previous recipes!