Watermelon just screams summer. It’s cool, sweet and juicy texture makes it a perfect addition to salads! Here is two different ways to “WOW” at your next BBQ with everyone’s favorite summertime treat!
- 2 ½ cups watermelon cubed or use a melon baller for fun watermelon spheres
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 small red onion (1/2 cup), diced
- ½ cup green onions, diced
- 4-6oz feta cheese (about ½ cups), crumbled
- Balsamic reduction for garnish
- For The Dressing
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- Makes 1 ½ cups
- Place all ingredients into a blender (or a bowl) and blend or whisk until combined. This can be made ahead of time, store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
- Gently toss ingredients with ½ cup of the dressing until evenly distributed
- Garnish with balsamic reduction Enjoy!!!
Watermelon, Basil and Mozzarella salad with crispy prosciutto cup
This is a spin on a classic caprese salad. The watermelon and blueberries are sweet and a bit tart while the creamy mozzarella and salty prosciutto pull this dish together into a fabulous salad combination!
- 1 ½ cup watermelon cubed or use a melon baller for fun watermelon spheres
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 small red onion (1/2 cup) diced
- ½ cup mini mozzarella balls
- 1 tablespoon basil, chiffonade
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 slices of thin prosciutto
- Balsamic reduction for garnish.
- Preheat electric oven to “Convection Broil” mode, setting 2, for about 3-5 minutes
- Take a large cupcake/muffin pan and flip it over so the cup opening is facing your work surface. Gently mold prosciutto slices over the cups, using 4 slices per cup, making sure that the prosciutto covers the cup completely and reaches all the way down the cup. Place on the middle rack and cook for 4-6 minutes until the prosciutto is browned and crisp. Let the cups cool on the mold for 5 minutes then gently transfer to a cooking rack, making sure they continue to cool upside down.
- This is an optional step but oh, so worth it! (*You can also just dice up thicker slices of prosciutto and brown them up in a sauté pan until crispy.)
- Gently toss salad ingredients with ½ cup of the dressing until evenly distributed. Serve in the prosciutto cups and garnish with more basil and balsamic reduction.