If you are rooting for the Pats this weekend, this old school New England favorite is a must! This is my Gramma’s recipe and it’s not only filled with a ton of flavor but tons of love! A perfect game-day treat! I serve mine with corn bread. You can always jazz up your plain corn bread by adding fun ingredients like green onion, cheddar cheese, grilled corn, or even chorizo sausage!
- 2 cups yellow-eyed beans (or navy beans)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 stick butter
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ onion (not chopped, just a chunk of onion)
- Lay out beans on a large, solid sheet pan and place into Convection Steam Oven. Steam 210˚ for 2 hours. (You can also soak beans overnight).
- Preheat oven to “Bake” mode 325˚. Place beans into a bean pot or large cast iron pot with a lid. Cover beans with water and bring to a boil. Par-boil for about 15 minutes.
- Drain beans and add all ingredients including onion. Don’t stir the beans. Add enough water to cover beans by about 2 inches.
- Bake for 5-6 hours until tender and scrumptious!
- Check every hour or so to ensure not extra water is needed. If the beans seem like they are getting dry just add enough water to cover beans.