Use this simple cheese sauce for recipes such as Mac’n’Cheese or over steamed vegetables
- 4 Tablespoons of Butter
- (1/4) Cup of flour
- 2 cups of Skim Milk
- 1 cup Cheese
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once butter is melted whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes, being careful not to burn the mixture.
- Heat milk in a separate sauce pan until warm to the touch.
- Slowly whisk heated milk into the Roux until combined, lower heat to a simmer and continue to cook about 7 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Whisk in cheese to thicken sauce and remove from heat.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.