This simple recipe is great year-round but is fabulous in the summer during tomato season
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup or 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- ½- 3/4 teaspoon salt (*if using capers, you may not need as much salt)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat a large sauté pan coated in olive oil over medium heat.
- Add shallots and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar and turn up heat to medium-high.
- Cook tomatoes 5-7 minutes until soft.
- Using the back of a spoon, gently press tomatoes so they “pop” open if they haven’t already done so.
- Add herbs, capers and vinegar and continue to cook 7 more minutes until slightly thickened.
- Serve with your favorite cheese and Crostini, enjoy!